as the new year begins, so do new projects. i’ve always been a fan of handwriting, language and the intersection of words and art. i wanted to create something that combined learning hindi, both spoken and written, with phrases that are uplifting and applicable to life. this is how the idea of saturday school formed! i’ve never created text based art like this so i presume i will hit bumps along the way, but i hope to learn, grow and challenge myself over the next 52 weeks.. and ultimately come out a stronger artist. i am partnering with my mom (which is also super fun!) because my writing in hindi is less than perfect.
here are my guiding principles for saturday school:
1. have fun!
2. create from traditional media (i will hand letter the phrase, clean and color in photoshop)
3. highlight the beauty of hindi
4. work on something off the computer weekly
5. approach it from the understanding that translation and language is not fixed, but fluid
6. secretly teach the hubbahubba hindi ^_^
each week i will post a new phrase written in devanagari, romanized hindi, and english. the spelling of romanized hindi is often disputed, my only hope is that it will help anyone wanting to say the words aloud.
hindi is a beautiful language.