the hubbahubba wrote the line above and i had to draw it. this is for him on the eve of our fifth wedding anniversary (although we’ve been together for 12 years!) the best decision i ever made was marrying you. happy anniversary! ^_^
meanwhile, we’ve chosen a winner for the canvas giveaway! we had over 100 entries – thank you! if you want to buy a canvas now is the time! zazzle is having a 50% off sale on canvases with the code: GRANDPARENTS through september 7th.
have a great weekend ^_^
I am super excited to announce my solo show at Trickster in Berkeley in November. Burn to Shine: 100 mini wood burnings (all the pieces will also be available for purchase online, each piece will be $65). The opening reception will be November 1st. I am posting my progress on Instagram and Facebook. Between now and November I will create 80 more pieces! It’s the largest number of wood burnings I’ve set out to create to date. It’s incredibly fun to explore different animals, backgrounds, and patterns. I create many with mehndi patterns in mind, but I also love burning waves and using negative space to create a soft and subtle environments.
I also wanted to take this opportunity to share a bit about my materials and process!
1. Wood slices. I obtain these from either Etsy or Michaels arts & crafts. I shop for wood that is light in color without any dark marks or knots. If there are marks, I try and incorporate them into the work. The wood type varies from walnut, basswood, to cherry and oak.
2. Colwood Cub electrical unit. This unit heats my pens, it has great temperature control and its portable with a long enough cord so I can burn in my studio or living room (it smells so good!). I usually keep the temperature between 7 and 8, but when I want to create a softer, lighter background or environment I will turn it down to 6. I have never gone past 9, I think I’d burn my fingers!
3. A finished piece for the show!
4. A mechanical pencil. I use this to draw the character on the wood before burning. I never draw in pattern or background, only the central figure. Background and pattern I create in the moment. It’s my favorite part. It feels meditative and organic.
5. My two favorite fixed pens. I use both of these on each piece. One creates a thicker line I use for outlines of shape and the other I used for details like eyes, lips, and sometimes pattern.
6. Fixed pens and replacement tips. I use these pens less often, but I do love the variety and texture I can get from them. There are two kinds of pens: fixed tips are just that, you cannot replace the tip only the whole pen. Replacement tips have one pen base and you can switch tips. I prefer fixed tips so I can switch mid burn and don’t have to wait for the tip to cool to take it off the pen. Since I switch pens at least twice in every burn fixed tips work best for me.
7. Sand paper. Essential! If the grain on a piece of wood isn’t sanded down enough the pen will get stuck in the grooves and create a funky burn. Nearly every piece of wood can benefit from a quick sand to make sure the end result is pleasing.
That’s all from me! It’s been so much fun to work on the books during the day and burn at night – hope to see you in November ^_^
I am super excited to announce my first foray into wearable art. The Panda Love Tee will be available at San Diego Comicon and is now available in our online shop!
These are just a few mini original wood burnings I’ve been creating for San Diego Comicon. It’s been a fun way to spend my evenings as Comicon prep is in full swing! We’ll be at table O-13 ^_^
we took a quick trip to vancouver a few weeks back and fell in love with that city! we took a lovely bike ride through stanley park and saw the canadian version of the golden gate ^_^
meanwhile, back in the studio, i can’t believe we’re only a few weeks away from san diego comicon! we will be in small press again this year ^_^ i’ve been spending my evenings burning mini wood burnings in preparation. we will also have an exciting new product TBA, too!
meanwhile, if you’re attending and have any specific prints you’d like please let me know (we can hold them at the table under your name) – hope to see you there! ^_^
I will be at Denver Comicon this Fri-Sunday! If you’re in and around Colorado I hope you’ll come by and say hello. Everyday Love Art will be in Artist’s Valley table A1-13. I will also be speaking about my journey to art at the DMZ (Discussion Media Zone) on Saturday from 1:30-2p.
Hope to see you there ^_^
Reading about the repeated violence makes it harder to see beauty through the horrible headlines. We must stop hurting the planet, the animals and each other. I have hope that we can arrive at a place where we see our time here as precious and treat the world and those around us with respect. I believe we can change. Because I believe we have a lot of love. If we can free ourselves to share that love – to release it into the world without reservation – perhaps we can arrive there soon.
i love summer! to celebrate i’m taking $10 off my book for this week only (sale ends friday)! ^_^ yay!
I am thrilled to announce that I have been invited for an artist showcase at Disneyland Wonderground Gallery June 21-22! Wonderground is part of Downtown Disney and doesn’t require a park ticket for entry therefore its free for all. The piece above, “Water Dance” will be one of the many prints I will have there. If you’re in Southern California, I hope to see you there! ^_^
Now, back to working on the books!
When my cousin called to ask me to draw something for her wedding save the date, I was surprised. My family has been very supportive of my career, but being asked to create art for them was a first. As she talked about her fiancé this image immediately popped into my head. I’m honored that I could be part of their special day in this way. ^_^
Meanwhile, the rough sketches for Misty were approved last week. I am now working on the color versions and will be balancing that and thumbnails for Pashmina. Therefore it might be a bit before I post again, but for good reason!
Also, if you missed it, there are still some originals available in my shop.
Have a great week! ^_^